For complaints concerning non-member municipalities, the police, the national government, energy and water suppliers, cable providers, health insurance companies, public transport companies and provincial authorities, and also for legal advice and assistance provided in the context of, for example, purchase, rent, divorce, criminal law and insurances, please contact other agencies.

In addition, the ombudsman will not handle your complaint if:

  1. the matter concerns a decision against which you may object,
  2. the matter concerns a dispute in respect of which a court can deliver a judgment,
  3. your complaint concerns municipal policy (political and administrative decisions). In this case, you can submit your complaint to the municipal council or municipal executive.

In addition, a complaint is usually not handled if the event to which it relates occurred a year or more ago.